Sunday, August 30, 2009

Boneyard Shawl


Boneyard Shawl
Originally uploaded by knittaPrince
Work Project III is complete! Behold...my take on Stephen West's Boneyard Shawl. According to the notes I kept in my Ravelry notebook, this took me three months of work lunches to complete.

I opted to use Classic Elite Yarns Alpaca Sox, an alpaca/merino/nylon blend with a really great, fluid drape to it. Ever since I started work on my colossal Sock Yarn blanket, I've develop a real affinity for sock yarn and have to say that I love working with it. Stephen's pattern is super easy and I opted for the YO increases along the center spine and the edges because, well...that's how the pattern was written when I started. Stephen has since put out an alternate pattern using M1Rs and M1Ls to avoid the holes. I had to improvise a bit with the row counts and color changes but you can't even notice and I'm certainly not going to point out the asymmetry.
I brought it home with me on Friday evening and took full advantage of my cats enjoying themselves on the balcony to block it using my newly acquired blocking wires and mats from KnitPicks.com. In case you had any doubt, blocking wires are the way to go when trying to straighten out the edges of a triangular shawl (or any shape really). Without them, I would have need a ska-billion more T-pins to secure a straight edge. As it was, I barely needed a dozen...although I could use several more blocking mats...I tried to take a cue from Yarndude and snap some model shots of me wearing the shawl but let's face it folks, it's just past 8am on a Sunday morning. Are you sure you really want to see when I look like when in full weekend mode? Shawl or no shawl...that's just not going to happen. (Editor's note: Actually, it did happen...but the results of said snaps were as expected. I look like a schoolboy who just woke up from the deepest sleep possible...and I do have a modicum of vanity. At least, I have enough not to post those photos.)

In other news and speaking of the necessity of blocking, the Hemlock Ring throw is off the needles and boy, is it a frumpy mess! What you see is the pre-blocked throw, lying as flat as it can at this stage...seriously. I swear to you, I did not frump it up on purpose just for the purpose of hammering home a point. Nope...the areas heavy in decreases are pulled together and the excessive YOs add so much space, the knitted fabric starts to ruffle on itself. What was that I said about needing more T-pins? My plan, at least in its preliminary stages, is to block out the center flower with pins, then insert wires radially through each feather & fan repeat to get a nice spread. The outer edges will need yet more pins...

...and I don't know how I'm going to keep the Warden away from my work space long enough to get this whole thing set up. Hmm...
...you can see the mischief and mayhem brewing in his eyes. Don't look too deeply! That's how he gains control of your mind!

It's time to soak a blanket and watch Princess Mononoke.

2 comments:

  1. I love your boneyard shawl. I want to make one of Stephen's patterns in an alpaca fingering-weight yarn I have. Also, if I can post pictures of myself after rock climbing for 5 hours, you can certainly post pictures of yourself on a Sunday morning. :P

    Woohoo, you're so close to being done with your Hemlock Ring Blanket!

    Also, I'm sure you're sick of hearing these things, but I definitely just watched Princess Mononoke last night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shawl is lovely and the blanket...awesome but scary. I am way too ADD for that thing, I can tell. Your math from the other post had me scared enough, the thought of blocking it out (something I have yet to master) is making me hyperventilate.

    ReplyDelete